Every morning I drive my daughter to school. She’s in high school so it’s always an interesting drive and never the same but yet always the same.
- There’s the girl walking two blocks away taking her good-natured time, eating what looks like yogurt and will be lucky to make it to class by the second bell.
- There is the blue-eyed blonde-haired jock-type guy driving his teeny-tiny yellow scooter.
- The Justin Bieber look-alike (why any high school kid would want to look like Justin Bieber is beyond me! He’s got such a bad rap!).
- The geek whose ears and nose are too big for his face. Oh, yeah, glasses too. (Must be a freshman so he’ll probably grow into his features yet.)
- The cheerleader-type girl with the sparkly backpack.
- The kids walking in the roadway and won’t move even when there is a car directly behind them.
Everything is so much the same, just variations of from then and now. You can even pick out the son/daughter/niece/nephew of kids that we went to school with!
- The kids carry backpacks. We just carried our books in our arms.
- Scooters instead of bikes or motorcycles.
- Eco-cars instead of souped-up hot rods. Remember when the parking lot would be full of hot rods?
- We had cooler eye glasses. The black-framed glasses the kids wear today we’d never be caught in because they were finally out of style!
- Flared jeans now were call bell-bottoms. Groovy!
- They all have ear buds in their ears. We didn’t have anything like that. 8-Tracks were too big to carry around but we did have earphones (which are coming back, btw!)
- If you saw a police car at the school back then, Ooooo…. someone was in deep trouble! Police are everywhere today.